Kikuyu.com    KIKUYU.COM    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Entertainment/Hobbies/Interests  Hop To Forums  Food    Authentic East African Restaurant
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Authentic East African Restaurant Login/Join

Silver Member
Picture of jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sajini:
Mugumo Munene answered my original question
http://www.nationmedia.com/dailynation/nmgcontententry...._id=25&newsid=101794

Saj,
Too bad I can't read it.Gotta pay read premium content.Huh Big Grin

Posts: 746 | Location: Mucii Kirinyaga:Wira California | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Children.The Greatest Love of all."
Silver Member
Picture of Nyina Wa Bakhita
posted Hide Post
Jane,you can read it.Here.You can read some without paying.All you need to do is register.

Face to face with Fanta in Kansas

Story by MUGUMO MUNENE
Publication Date: 2007/07/07

The name Fanta, that orange-coloured soft drink, has always conjured many images in my mind. This is the way it has been since, as a little boy, I bought my first bottle for Sh1.65 at a shop at my Unjiru village run by resilient Muriuki wa Kaheavy years ago.

Last Saturday, my knowledge increased after I met Fanta, a fine Gambian lady married to an affable Kenyan gentleman called Hophine Bwosinde. Fanta, I learnt, is a common name in West Africa, especially in the Gambia, which means a beautiful day.

The couple had just opened a Kenyan restaurant named Fanta’s Kitchen Café in Overland Park City, Kansas. As it turned out, the restaurant’s theme colour is orange and Fanta herself was resplendent in an ankle-length orange dress on the opening day. They have also stocked Fanta, the drink.

I went to the opening to eat some Kenyan food. The menu could have come right out of a hotel in Kakamega or Voi — ugali, chapati, nyama choma, kuku choma, kachumbari, mukimo, beef stew, mandazi, samosa and pilau.

KENYANS FLOCKED THE restaurant. Some had not been home in 10 years or more, I learned from chatting with them and Fanta’s Kitchen brought back fond memories of their favourite eating places back home.

Americans too came to Fanta’s Kitchen to sample Kenyan food, the latest addition to tens of ethnic restaurants that dot the cities — Spanish, Italian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Vietnamese, just about a whole list. As my Chinese friend Lou Yi remarked recently, she doesn’t understand why Americans build very nice kitchens and then eat out in restaurants almost all the time. “And what does it take to open a restaurant out here?” I wondered aloud.

“You have to install a fire alert and oil and grease disposal systems to ensure it doesn’t go to destroying the environment. You have to install very expensive equipment,” Fanta’s husband told me. “They inspect the kitchen, want to know what the waste disposal system is and that you maintain the highest levels of cleanliness possible.”

As we spoke, my thoughts trailed to the day history was made as city and town halls across Kenya presented their budgets last week. It’s their duty, and always has been, to ensure public places are safe, clean, supplied with utility roads and streets and are clearly labelled and well maintained, and not just engage in petty politics the whole time.

Budget speeches

As they promised in their budget speeches, they would light up and name streets to make it easier for strangers to find their way about.

Nairobi and provincial capitals should lead the way. And they should not forget to have a garbage bin at every corner and establish a regular routine for emptying them.

They should also make sure that public eating places are clean and that residents are not treated to all the grime we sometimes have to put up with in some restaurants.

Whatever happened to public health officers, the men and women given by law the power to shut down dirty places? They must be reminded that tax and rate payers demand value for their money.

Councillors who lie that they will do a good job and don’t should be voted out in December. In fact, Parliament should consider passing a law stipulating that town clerks who run dark, dirty towns without functional public utilities be fired and prosecuted. Why else are they paid - to sit in big offices?

With all the high-tech training, who would think that police in developed countries lapse into a twisted sense of humour? An officer arrested a woman at a domestic airport here on Friday evening. Young and inexperienced, the arresting officer had convinced himself that he had made his big break into the world of brilliant crime busters.

THE “SUSPECT” STAYED IN THE coolers two straight nights before she could get anyone to listen. When someone finally did, it turned out they had the wrong woman.

She had never even been charged for a traffic offence, leave alone appearing on a police list of wanted persons. The victim of the awry officer is white. The description of wanted woman is: “Black female. Brown eyes.”

The problem? They are both women, they share the exact first name and their second names closely resemble. It appears the arresting officer suffers from severe spelling problems and is colour-blind. What an alphabetical way to ruin a weekend! And the crooked woman is still free.

Mugomo Munene is a Nation staffer on Alfred Friendly fellowship in Kansas, US.

Faith is not belief without proof but trust without reservations. -My Childrens Mama.

Posts: 791 | Location: Guciarwo-Nyiri Mukaro.Mucii-Valley of the Sun. | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Member
Picture of jane
posted Hide Post
Waoh!!Wa b,Saj,...we should emurate these people. Smiler

Posts: 746 | Location: Mucii Kirinyaga:Wira California | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Children.The Greatest Love of all."
Silver Member
Picture of Nyina Wa Bakhita
posted Hide Post
Jane,I concur.

Faith is not belief without proof but trust without reservations. -My Childrens Mama.

Posts: 791 | Location: Guciarwo-Nyiri Mukaro.Mucii-Valley of the Sun. | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Ithe wa Nyambura na Wambui"
Platinum Member
Picture of sajini
posted Hide Post
And what is amazing is that the girl is not even Kenyan. She is Gambian. This should be a challenge, especially to East African who live in cities wil a large number of East African. Where is the Kenyan enterpreneural spirit?

Emotions are the greatest enemy of rational arguments

Posts: 3171 | Location: Neither here nor there | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Member
Picture of jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sajini:
And what is amazing is that the girl is not even Kenyan. She is Gambian. This should be a challenge, especially to East African who live in cities wil a large number of East African. Where is the Kenyan enterpreneural spirit?

Yes its a challege.And a BIG one!!

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
i guess i got different news here in baltimore,md we got a good thing going on for every friday it is nyama choma night at ha kamau nothing beats kamau's choma.If you are not apt to it you go to makuti and meet a lady i just call Maitu (mum) nice lady will fix you any kenyan dish from fried mbuzi,mukimo,ugali ....... but i have to tell you if visit don't touch my samosas here they can get you in trouble from me i love them the best!!! At makuti i always feel like am eating at mama's plate then the songs they play are our songs kamaru musaimo add some tusker and a few old folks from kenyatta's 1960's airlift and you are home!!!!!!!!!
Then there is this new outfit for the young Kenyans they open recently called Boma they are cooking good too they have young dudes who are playing latest Kenyan music so you know all the young senoritas and senoras are frequenting this place.
Sorry guys we got it going on here in B'more you got to visit to believe it!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ngii Ndune!!,

Wakia wakini? Wi muhoro?

Posts: 628 | Location: Rware | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
in kenya i noticed that african food is now being sold in almost every restaurant even in fish and chips joints.

even in traditional fish and chips place like MUNYIRIS TAKE AWAY one can buy githeri/ilio.

there is this vast place near paliament that sell any kind of kenyan dishes.

off-late i visit kenya just to eat kenyan traditional food.

Posts: 244 | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Wonderful service, atmosphere, and staff.

The owners are very helpful in finding something for first time customers. They make their own bread and their own honey wine. The sambusa is wonderful, both kinds, but be careful it is piping hot when it comes to the table. The coffee ceremony at the end of the meal is beautiful(optional) and I have not idea that popcorn went so well with coffee!

Posts: 2 | Location: 10220 Medlock Bridge Rd, Duluth, GA | Registered: 03 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"
"
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Anyone is having idea about making Indian food as I don't know how to make it. Is it very difficult?

Posts: 1 | Location: 257 Dean St, Brooklyn, NY | Registered: 10 February 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Member
Picture of Khanyisile
posted Hide Post

Posts: 79 | Location: Pouytenga | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Authentic East African Restaurant

Which is the best authentic East African restaurant ?

Posts: 2 | Location: 416 7th St NE, Washington, DC 20002 | Registered: 09 March 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post